Sunday, April 12, 2009

Roosters & Fruit...New Tile & Granite...A Great Meta & Blue Monday Post!

I am participating in both Blue Monday & Meta Monday today!
First, for the "Schocking Blue" ;)
Thanks goes out to "Smiling Sally" for hosting Blue Monday~ I took the photo of this "Blue" guitar a few weeks ago because it was so original. I used a photo shop technique to give it more of a psychedelic look. It's totally not like me, that's why I loved it! Opposites attract! ;) Be sure to click on the Blue Monday logo to visit all the other Blue Monday posts!

Thanks to Susan from "Between Naps On The Porch" for hosting one of my favorites, Meta Monday! Please visit Susan by clicking on the logo below to visit other Meta Monday Makeovers!
Many of you enjoyed the Meta Monday post of my sisters foyer steps and railing being updated. Well, welcome to her "Kitchen" makeover just completed last year. I don't have as many before pics as I do after...but I think you'll get the feel of what it looked like prior.
BEFORE:
The tile back splash was most likely the original from when the home was built. At one point, the former owner had the flower vase stenciled on to the tile. It was very pretty...but my sister wanted an entirely new look. You'll notice the counter tops were Formica & were trimmed with wood, typically an upgrade when homes are built. The range will be replaced with a new ceramic flat range, my favorite!
The dates on the pics my sister took reflect the few took prior to the work and then during the work too.
She and her husband removed the tile themselves to save on labor, but the wall behind the tile ended up needing replaced. You'll see the granite counter tops are already installed now, and the range is inserted. The drywall is up and is drying...
While upgrading the counter tops and the back splash, they also opted to upgrade the faucet, new lighting, and a new dishwasher to the Stainless Steel front; what a difference that made!
Okay, before you see the end result with the new back splash., I'd like to show you some of the items on her kitchen walls and the cove above her cabinetry that I helped her pull together using items throughout her home.
AFTER THE WORK WAS ALL DONE:
This item below is a cute peg hanger.
We had the most fun running through the house and looking in cabinets to see what we could use to change out on items for above the cabinets. We kept some things we'd used the last time when decorating, and then we swapped out many others. Just changing a few items around can sometimes make it all seem new again.
We combined all types of accessories from faux greenery, to pottery, to beaded lamps...it's quite eclectic, and looks really nicely with her rope lighting above the cabinets at night.
You'll notice two distinct decorating themes in my sisters kitchen, roosters and fruit! And the combination she has looks really nice!
This arrangement is above the double oven area, it's one of my favorites!A Wall display my sister arranged, it's very welcoming as guests enter.
Her large fruit filled glass vase stands tall on the center island.
Some fruit plaques and and inspirational plate.
She keeps her granite counters fairly cleared off because they look so nice. This is just one of a few vignettes you'll see as a result of that.
A little Asparagus Tea Pot that I gave her one year for an occasion.
A recent gift from a friend that looks so nice near the sink!
She looked high and low for the perfect kitchen breakfast stools, these made the cut! I love them!
Her lovely little black wrought iron brackets that she installed on each side under the breakfast bar area since she had the granite made a little bit larger.
She incorporated the length of the granite center island to cover a custom made trash container my brother in law made out of wood and painted to her specifications, gloss black.
Her sinks were also replaced along with the new upgraded faucet.
I love the way the sprayer pulls out of the faucet so you can use it to reach hard to get at areas on pots and pans.
Now we're getting into the "dramatic" change on the new back splash above the granite:
Doesn't it look like a brand new 2009 Kitchen Makeover? Notice her cute little rooster rug in front of the kitchen sink?
One final view... My sister and her husband were quite pleased with the results!
I love being in her kitchen...it's really a tremendous makeover!
I'm so glad you joined me today for my Blue Monday and Meta Monday post...be sure to visit everyone else today! ;)
~CC Catherine

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Catherine! Oh, your sister's kitchen is just so lovely! Love all the changes she made. And you helped with the decorating! The granite counter tops are beautiful, the backsplash, the floors! Oh, maybe one day I can have a beautiful kitchen!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Catherine - your sister's kitchen is just lovely! I love all the changes - such a dramatic difference. Thanks for sharing!
Blessings, Barb

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

What a beautiful transformation. It made a huge difference replacing the counter top and tile. Just amazing!!

niartist said...

Love the backsplash now - that tile is fabulous! Perfect idea Catherine, and a wonderful transformation ... p.s., I know it's weird, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your faucet too. I have one similar to it, and couldn't live without it.

{oc cottage} said...

Fab-u-lous!!!!

m ^..^

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi CC...What a beautiful kitchen! I love the tile! Be sure to tell your sis what a gorgeous kitchen she has!! Hope you had a wonderful Easter...hugs...Debbie

Becky said...

Thank you sissy for showcasing my kitchen. You always make it look so nice. I couldn't have done it without you. When are you coming back for another room makeover? I'm ready!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi CC,
This is just beautiful! What a great transformation and the backsplash is very pretty. I love all the cute and creative decorating you and your sis did above the cupboards. My sister is having her baby on Tuesday! Yahoo, Cindy

Linda said...

Beautiful! I love your new kitchen! We put in new granite last year, you'll love it!

Happy Met Monday!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow! That is a fabulous makeover! I can't believe all the changes you made and I love the "shopping the house" changes. Beautiful! Linda

Joy Tilton said...

You girls did an excellent job on the re-do! We live in our kitchens so they should be beautiful as well as functional. We built 4 years ago and I wish we'd made the kitchen larger. At this point we are downsizing but it's sure hard to go backwards!

SmilingSally said...

Your sister's kitchen is nicely done. I do like that trash can idea. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Karen said...

Good morning Catherine -
Well it looks like you two just had waaaayyy too much fun together! What a fun day! She's done a beautiful job with her "new" kitchen. It truly does look like a new room, even if all that is "new" is the countertops and backsplash.
Great post! Hugs. Karen

Valerie said...

The kitchen makeover was fabulous and the guitar "makeover" is pretty cool tool!

Blessings to you from Kansas,
Valerie

Candy said...

What a wonderful redo in the heart of your home. Lovely indeed!
Now you have time to strum that pretty blue guitar.
Enjoy! Candy

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

What a great sister you are...this is a beautiful job and thanks for sharing...

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Catherine,
What a lovely job in your sister's kitchen. I love the granite and the roosters! Happy Blue Monday!

Blesings,
Sandi

Claudie said...

So cool that your sissy let's you decorate with her. Lucky girl. What's cool is that you have the same taste. As you know my sissy and I do NOT have the same taste. I must send those pics to you today...yes I will.
Great guitar picture. Randy just picked his up last night, and started strumming those strings. It's so nice to have music in the house again.
Happy Blue Monday my friend and enjoy your company. Drop me a line when all settles.
No mail today so maybe later this week.
Love You
Claudie
xoxoxoxo
P.S. BTW your dark blue writing does not show up.

Chandy said...

Very nice changes... I bet she is so happy with everything!

Happy Monday!

annies home said...

kitchne is lovely great changes

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your sister's kitchen is just gorgeous. Isn't it amazing what granite alone does to make a room look more up to date. The tile and sink are are wonderful upgrades also. I love the vignettes you two did above the cabinets. Just stunning. I am sure she loves the kitchen now. Hugs, Marty

Linda Q said...

Catherine, her kitchen turned out wonderfully! Such a big improvement to just change things like tile sometimes.
Great!
Linda Q

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

It shows you that a few changes make a huge impact!! Great kitchen.

Mrs. Petrie said...

Wow, what a huge difference! Looks great. I'm sure your sister appreciated your help.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Catherine...great renovation! I love your sister's new kitchen! The breakfast bar stools are beautiful and that back splash is wonderful! Everything thing turned out beautifully! :-) Susan

The Raggedy Girl said...

That is a beautiful makeover and the final results are incredible.

Thank you for the lovely tour. And I love the rooster.

Have A Marvelous Monday
from Roberta Anne
"The Raggedy Girl"

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful makeover,Catherine! Gorgeous kitchen!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What a pretty kitchen! I love the new tile.
~Michelle

jeanne said...

CC, your sisters kitchen makeover is so beautiful. Your help made it all fun even though I know it was a huge job. The result is lovely and definitely an update to the current kitchens of 2009. I love it all.

Hugs...Jeanne

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

This kitchen turned out so great! Oh, I bet you and your siser had so much fun decorating it! Love tha granite countertop, and the new back splash is so pretty. What a difference the've made in their kitchen. Thank you and thank her for sharing. laurie

Kathy said...

What a fabulous kitchen makeover, Catherine. You and your sister make quite a decorating team!

I wanted you to know that I'll be out of town at the time but I'll be tagging you on 4/25.
xo...Kathy

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVELY kitchen redo... love that blue guitar too!

Kris said...

Hi Catherine,

The kitchen makeover looks so good. I love the backsplash and the counter tops. Not to mention all the cabinetry. Ohhhhh' what I would give for that much storage space. Thanks for sharing with us.

Have a happy day

Kris

xinex said...

Beautiful make over, Catherine! Your sister's kitchen is so nice and spacious, love all the changes. Love the blue guitar too and the photo effect you created....Christine

The French Bear said...

Very nice.... what a gorgeous kitchen!!! It takes a lot of work and to get it all done right away is a gift in itself!!
Nice blue guitar, too!!!
Cheers,
Margaret B

Country Romantic said...

Hi Catherine,

Your sister's kitchen redo is so lovely. I thought it was nice before but when I saw the after pics I decided I did like it better. :) She has very good taste.

Hugs & Blessings,

Katherine

The Stylish House said...

Hi Catherine,
Wonderful kitchen makeover! This looks like it would be a great one to cook in. Cathy

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Catherine...Your sister kitchen is just beautiful..love all the pops of color above the cabinets..and those bar stools are wonderful...tell you sister job well done..thanks for sharing..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Lois Christensen said...

Love the granite!!! Hubby and me want to change our countertops so badly, just waiting. And the tile is beautiful!! Love the rooster!!!

Anonymous said...

Catherine,

What a beautiful transformation!! They did a wonderful job. Love the new accents...it makes for a "brand new kitchen"!

Kris

Kelly said...

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen make over! I love it!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Catherine, this is a fabulous transformation! Love what they did! Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

On The Wings Of Love said...

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for the sweet, sweet comments you left me.....brought a smile to my face ! ...love the way you worded it.

Great job on your sister's kitchen ...the tile and granite counters made such a difference !

.....and just how do you get that lovely french accent on "de the cups" on the computer. I haven't figured that one out yet.

a la prochaine !

Cheers
Bre
Chantilly Grace

Miss Janice said...

I love the changes to your sister's kitchen...awesome! Well, thank you for your kind comments about the header! American Idol is pretty much all I watch on TV these days and I must say that I love ADAM to win...I think his voice and stage presence are just awesome!