Sunday, February 22, 2009

Blue & Meta Monday ~ Mirror Mirror On The Wall...& Bella's Blue Eyes~

Welcome! Today I'm combining my Blue Monday & Meta Monday Posts!
Please be sure to stop by "Smiling Sally" to see all the other Blue Monday posts!
First, Blue Monday...this is my Great Niece, are her Blue Eyes not just the greatest?
This pic expresses to me a Bella Blue Eyed little girl that adores Chocolate!
On To my Meta Monday post...
Welcome to Meta Monday where I love to share in Susan's "Between Naps On The Porch" special Monday where we each show a great example of a "Metamorphosis" item we've accomplished or been a part of!

This week I'm sharing one wall in my Master Bedroom that's had a Meta Moment
...and also one of my guest rooms!
Here you see the "Before" of one wall in my bedroom...right before we moved in.
Years ago I'd seen a photo in a magazine of a wall completely filled with all types of mirrors.
As soon as I seen that, I knew that someday I wanted to have one. Both my Beloved and I love Vintage Mirrors., and thus, we decided to make over the one wall., the vintage electric fireplace that you see in this pic was picked up in an antique store one year ago and we love it! The vintage lamps with crystals on each side of the mantel belonged to my grandmother., and I love to light them in the morning while I'm reading in bed., it brings Grandma a bit closer to me in my heart. ;) I added a splash of RED on the mantel (a tip I learned from Ms. Kathleen Ellis) ;) and it makes the entire wall POP!
Another view from the entrance into the room let's you see where my Abbie sleeps to the left of the fireplace on my Grandma's chair. I tried my hand at reupholstering (my first project to see if I could do it) it and did good until I had to do the seat and a few minor finishes., I then hired a subject matter expert to finish it! ;)
Next is our Guest Room on the second floor near the Veranda Porch.
This room is a lovely huge room in an L shape. It's so nice and large that I have a full size Henredon sofa and chaise (purchased used for $350 for the pair) at the opposite end that's not pictured completely in this photo. It's really a Guest Suite., we are fortunate to have closets large enough to our guest rooms that they could be small sewing rooms. We enjoy the storage, because we do not have a basement. This is the BEFORE pic!
Voila~The Guest Room completed...
Of course, I tend to be a mover and slide things around rearranging often, but no matter where the furniture is placed, it's a pleasant and relaxing room. The drapes (made from one long sheath) were made by cutting the fabric in two pieces. I then simply tied two knots (one at each end) and my Beloved put a nail on each side of the window frames, and it took less than five minutes to hang on both windows before an event I was holding for a church event., our very own "Decorating on a Dime" evening. The white Vintage Bed was purchased at Goodwill for $14, the quality made sage green duvet cover folded at the end of the bed also from the GW for $4, Topiary Lamp Base, $2.99 from GW ( I added a shade I had at home already), the custom velvet matted and framed crocheted yellow doilies behind the sofa (3) were purchased at GW for a total of $20. The antique trunk belonged to my Grandfather and I purchased it at their estate sale for $50. My favorite item in the room is the purple & white quilt that my mother stitched by hand, every stitch is sewn by her sweet hands. The wool rug pictured here is no longer in this room, it now is in our other guest room where my French Country Love Seat is.
The mirror to the right of the window I got free because it was going to be thrown away ( I distressed it), the artwork to the left of the window is something my youngest son made when in elementary school...I loved it when he brought it home and I saved it for years knowing I wanted to mat and have custom framed. I selected purple for the mat so that I could use it in the room with the quilt my mother made me. This piece of his artwork brings me so much joy every time I see it. The little welcome sign hanging on the headboard was purchased at GW for $1. You'll notice a bed tray at the foot of the bed. I always enjoy getting ready for my guests, and the bed tray is always a very inviting way to let them know how glad we are that they're with us. Typically I have a Guest Prayer, flowers in a vase, and candies or chocolates waiting for them on their tray.
Along with my sons artwork, my other favorite item in the room is the purple & white quilt that my mother stitched by hand, every stitch is sewn by her sweet hands. The pattern of the quilt is called "Dresden Plate". The Fringed White Chenille Pillow Shams were a GW buy at only 59cents each. The neck roll pillow was custom made by a lady that wanted to buy something from a yard sale I was having, but didn't have the money. I knew she was a seamstress, so I bartered with her to sew some items from some material I had and I gave her the queen size bedding I wanted to sell. Many times we can get things we'd like to have without spending money. Swapping services is a great way to do that!
Well, there you have it...
My Master Bedroom Mirrored Wall & Fireplace Makeover and
our Guest Bedroom completed!
I'm now in the process of selecting a Wall Color to paint the room, ANY SUGGESTIONS? Please share with me when leaving your comment what color you think would look nicely with the quilt...it for sure will remain the focal point in this room.
Don't forget to visit Susan & Sally to see the rest of the amazing Blue & Meta Monday projects!

63 comments:

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow! I love both rooms! First, what a great idea with the mirror wall - love it! Were they all gold mirrors, or did you have some painting to do to make them alike? I'm going to keep that idea on my back burner, for sure! Also, the guest room is so warm and inviting. Can't believe the $14 bed - what? - and the lovely quilt. We have a bedroom with purple and khaki bedding and I love it. The walls are painted in "Soft Cloud" by Porter paints. They were that way before I did the room, so we left it. (Also our red & green bedroom and another B&W toile bedroom are that same color, so it's versatile.) I wonder if the perfect shade of green could work also? I like it like now : ) Linda

Bo said...

Good morning Catherine...no one would ever guess the furniture & other items were bargains...they look wonderful. The quilt your mother made is so rich looking & you made the sweetest statement about her hands making it. Wonderful post! ;-) Bo

Kat said...

The mirror wall is a great idea. And your guest suite is beautiful. Do your guests ever leave lol? You really could give "design on a dime" some serious competition here. The room is beautiful, and the quilt is magnificent and even more special because your mother made it. Great post! Kathy

Vintage To Chic said...

good morning Linda, thanks for visiting me, I love your rooms and your blog, have a great week,
Hugs,
Judy

Anonymous said...

$14.00 bed,wow.It looks fabulous.I'm not one to help with color.But...I think a heavier window treatment would reall y help.You've done a great job so far.i love----the fireplace...Ann

Karen said...

Hello there Miss Early Bird, considering it's Sunday and your all ready "Meta Mondaying". (he he he)
Love the rooms. Really love the fact you got everything for wonderful prices. LOVE THE BED!
Which room are you painting? If it is the master - give us a quick peek at your comforter and drapes. But I don't know if I'd trust me with a paint choice. You saw what I did to my scrap happy room!
Very fun post! Good job!
HAGD!!! Karen

Skinny and Sober said...

you did such a great job!
now...can i come visit? that guest room looks rather inviting!
hahaha : )
kisses and cupcakes,
amy
*

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

WOW!! girl I love both room..now that quilt is just Beautiful and to have something your mama made is awesome..I just love having my family things around me..Now I love the fire place in the bedroom..I want to do that...but will need to get rid of something first to make room..Great Met Monday to you...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

The Raggedy Girl said...

You are so fortunate to have such spacious rooms. I love the mirrors and the fire place which must be wonderful in a bedroom. In the guest room it is like the is a little niche for the bed and it looks so sweet.

May God Bless You This Sunday
from Roberta Anne

Terri Steffes said...

The mirror is lovely. And the red is perfect. The purple quilt is so inviting!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Love the wall of mirrors!

Susan

Nanette said...

It all turned out so beautiful. I was also thinking maybe a green for the walls.
Valerie

Lady Katherine said...

I love the $14 bed, the quilt is lovely! If your going to keep it on the bed why not pick some lavender or purple colors to go with it. Maybe a little pink, yellow, or green? Ok I like pink, purple and yellow, its almost spring!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Both of the bedrooms are just stunning. I love the mirror wall and the fireplace. What a fabulous thing to have in the bedroom. Your guest bedroom is such a wonderful place to welcome guests. I love that you used your mom's precious quilt and your son's art. Those are really special. Your bargain furniture looks very expensive and exquisite. Beautiful rooms. Hugs, Marty

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I like the wall of mirrors. Good find on the $14 bed. Best of all is that you were able to obtain your grandfathers trunk. I know it's even more precious because of it's history.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Hey, to answer your question, the color soft cloud is sort of tan. My Met Monday is a toile bedroom and you can see it on the walls there. It's probably not too different from what you have now on taking a second look. It looks a tad pink in the pic, but it is absolutely NOT pink in real life!
Looking forward to meeting you Monday! Linda

Anonymous said...

OMGosh CC
You have done so much. You never told me your son was an artist? Very pretty indeed CC.
Your bedroom is very cozy, but I need to know something? Why don't you stay in bed instead of putting the lights on in the wee hours of the night.lol
Your grandma is watching over you. That guest room has my name on it.
Happy MET Monday my friend.
Love Claudie
xoxo

CIELO said...

Wow, what a transformation!love your guess room.... enjoy everything life gave to offer, sweet CC...

blessings and smiles

ciel

janet said...

oh my both rooms are beautiful, an di love the wall of mirrors...so lovely. I too have a sheltie, he is now 13 years old, and such a sweetie.
hugs
janet

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

So pretty, thank you so much for sharing! I love your mirros and the guest room is one I could be completely comfy in. All your touches make it inviting and you can tell what a special place it is to be.
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

Beautiful rooms, Catherine! Great post!

Bobby (Baniji) & Gayle Evans said...

Love the mirror wall. You really pulled it together. This could be poorly done if not careful but yours is GREAT!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow! Beautiful job, CC! You have such nice large rooms to work with, too! I love all of the personal touches! Great post...see you soon!!...Debbie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

The mirrored wall is wonderful, and love that you got such a deal on the fireplace. That quilt in the guestroom is such a beautiful treasure! Both rooms look so pretty. laurie

DesignTies said...

I love purple, so of course, your purple quilt gets a big thumbs up from me!! It's a wonderful & special piece for you to cherish :-)

It's great that you've been able to find so many great deals to decorate your home with :-)

My colour suggestion for the guest bedroom is a lighter shade of purple than the purple in your quilt. Take a look at the first purple room in this post by Eileen Kathryn Boyd on her blog:

http://eileenkathrynboyd.blogspot.com/2009/01/clean-sweep.html

She said that the colour is Benjamin Moore Sleepy Hollow. It looks like such a soft & beautiful shade of purple on her picture. I think Sleepy Hollow (or a similar shade of purple) would look great in your room :-)

Thanks for visiting and following our blog :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Anonymous said...

Hi, Catherine! Oh, what beautiful rooms! I love your master with the mirrors! So elegant and that fireplace! You've made the mantle look very nice. It's hard to believe the bed was only $14! It looks marvelous! You really have vision, my sweet friend,
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

xinex said...

The rooms are both beautiful. I like the vintage lamps and the mirrors and the bed, I can't believe you got the bed for $14....Christine

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

CC,
You are so talented! I just love that guest room and the fact that you furnished with so many great finds. The bed for $14, now that's amazing and the quilt your mom made is so lovely I would just like to reach out and take it home with me!! LOL, just kidding but your mom is sure talented as well. I love the mirror room as well. Lovely home, Cindy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Catherine, that child has the most beautiful eyes! And I love your room makeover. You did a great job!

Happy Blue Met Monday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

What pretty blue eyes. Her eye lashes are soooo long! I can put gobs of mascara on and my lashes will never look that long!
The rooms look great. I'll bet you had a grand time "dressing" them up.

playsdolls said...

What a beauty your niece is and love those blue eyes.
Your Mte Monday post is awesome,what wonderful and beautiful makeovers you have in both your rooms.Really love that fireplace in your master bedroom.

Anonymous said...

CC you and I have Blue Eyes. Your in bed and I just got outa bed to come and see. Great minds think alike.
Happy Blue Monday
Make sure you listen to Brittany's song.
Love Ya
Claudie
xoxoxo

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I think I would paint that room the palest shade of lavender. The quilt is lovely and you seem to have a knack for finding bargains too.

Lois Christensen said...

What beautiful eyes!!! How sweet is that little girl. Love the guest room!!! Love the living room, and especially what you did with the fireplace, very nice!!!

Bo said...

I'm back to comment on that most gorgeous great niece of yours...that is truly one beautiful, blue-eyed child! Bella fits her perfectly... ;-) Bo

Sweetie said...

What a beautiful child with those big blue eyes and traces of chocolate on her face. I also looked at the bedrooms and they are gorgeous. Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie

SmilingSally said...

Ooo, those big blue eyes! Gorgeous.

I'd paint the walls the same color as the soft BLUE in the rug.

JudyBug said...

Great pics. Your little niece is going to be a heart breaker with those gorgeous blue eyes!

JudyBug

Knitty said...

Your niece is a stunning beauty!

Wonderful rooms you have created.

Sherri said...

Happy Blue Monday. Her eyes are gorgeous! And the rooms. Oh my Gosh! Stunning! Have to say I am a bargain gal myself, so you scored HUGE with your purchases! LOVE the bed for $14!!!! What a find. The old trunk is lovely. Everything is so cozy and very pretty.

April said...

Those eyes are to die for! Love the way you've done your rooms...very pretty. Happy Blue Monday!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your Niece has really beautiful eyes, chocolate included!!
Your rooms are beautiful! How a bout a light mustard color for you master bedroom and a pale blue for your guest room. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Chandy said...

Wow, I love that guestroom! That purple quilt looks amazing!

Carolyn of What Now? Tablescapes (new to Met Mon)

Anonymous said...

Oh those blue eyes are fabulous. You done some great things with your rooms too. I like the mirrors...
Happy Blue Monday to you!

Karla said...

Oh my goodness - those EYES!! She's a beauty! Great room makeovers! I love that bed! And Happy Met Monday!

Thanks so much for your very sweet comment on my Met Monday post! :)

~Karla

Dixie said...

Love your rooms... wish I had that big bedroom with a sitting area! This may sound nuts... but I think I'd pick a pale yellow to go with that quilt and bed...

Love that Blue Monday post... a girl after my own chocolate heart.

WW will be Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday and/or Ash Wednesday... your choice or you can do both. There's a list on my sidebar.. ;) Dixie

Carrie said...

The guestroom is beautifully decorated. Perhaps a very pale lilac on the walls would work with the wonderful quilt by your mother.

Anonymous said...

Ah look at that chocolate face! Great capture, Catherine. The transformation looks incredible and look at that fresh vacuumed capret!!!

Fifi Flowers said...

GORGEOUS EYES!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

A mirror wall is a great idea! Could work in a traditional home or a modern home just as well! Bella has BEAUIFUL BLUE EYES!!! Lucky girl!

♥ Kathy said...

blue eyes are a weakness of mine :) and I love the way your room turned out! Happy Blue Monday!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my Bella Rosa blog. Yours is great! The rooms look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hi C.C.I had to come see what I said.I do hope I didn't hurt your feelings.I get teary everytime I come to your blog.Your header is EXACTLY like my chandy my D.H forgot to bring from my other home.I loved that chandy so much.It was my pride and joy.
You know how men are.He kept going to do it,until it was too late.But....I took all the crystalS off for safe keeping.Some,I had replaced with REAL ones.
Again I do so hope your feelings were not hurt.It is NEVER my intention...Ann

lvroftiques said...

CC I am in love with your fireplace! How fab and frenchy! I also love the mirrored wall! And your guest bedroom is HUGE!! You're my kinda shopper girlfriend! And all the wonderful keepsakes from you mom and grandfather are the perfect touch. Your guests are lucky indeed! Vanna

Tracy said...

Lovely transformations! The mirror wall is fabulous!

Candy said...

Oh but Bella does have the biggest blue eyes ever. You could play photographer and make some black and white vintage pictures. Does she like to play dress up?
Love the fireplace/mirror wall...warm and cozy. And the size of the next room, Oh! My! and pretty purple quilt.
Blessings, Candy

DesignTies said...

You're welcome for the purple suggestion :-) I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the painted room, whichever colour you end up choosing :-)

Good luck!!

Kelly @ DesignTies

Blondie's Journal said...

Catherine,

There is so much here for me to rave about! Your great niece does have the most stunning blue eyes, what a darling she is!

Your rooms are gorgeous. All those great things passed down & made by your mother & grandmother...it so makes me wish I knew mine.

You are so thrifty & savvy with your shopping, I could learn from you, lol!!

I would love to see your guest room painted a soft cream so the violet color in the quilt can stand out. Blue accents would also be gorgeous!

Great post!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Kathy said...

Simply fabulous, Catherine! You have a knack for creating elegant and charming spaces. Your guests must hate to go home!

Your great niece has gorgeous eyes! Perfact blue Monday post!

xo...Kathy

Belinda said...

Catherine, I absolutely LOVE what you did with that gorgeous mantel and the mirrors...and I love that they are gold, which is such a terrific look with the white mantel. Its so elegant, I just love it! And your guest room looks beautiful...your Mother's amazing quilt is the icing on the cake of this inviting space. :-)

Kathleen Ellis said...

I can attest to the fact that your guest room is quite cozy and comfy...and roomy! it's a lovely place for your guests to retreat to and feel pampered in!(and MUCH larger than mine!)
As far as paint color...a soft golden butter color would be perfect! with a pale, pale violet blue ceiling! have I ever steered you wrong???
xo

Linda Q said...

Catherine, wonderful rooms. At least I can sit and see this fun stuff while I am home sicky!
I too have a mirror wall, in living room, I will show it soon.
I heard Oprah has a room with mirrors on the walls in one of her homes. I also like the look of old mirrors going up a staircase wall.
Thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing!
Linda Q

Elaine said...

No one would ever guess that these were bargain rooms!

And those blue eyes....I bet she's a charmer!